Sunday, July 23, 2006

A strange, and unnerving, coincidence

A year ago today I met a man at a party. We talked and laughed and flirted all night whilst his disgruntled girlfriend looked on. We childishly argued about who was the tallest, went into the kitchen to measure each other and all of a sudden he kissed me.

I was so taken with him that when I left I scrunched up a piece of paper with my phone number scrawled on and slipped it to him as I shook his hand goodbye. He called me the next day.

The girlfriend is no more and during these last few months he has been a friend and more, and sometimes less, but never, unfortunately, a boyfriend. He has helped me through my darkest days and people who meet us think we are a couple. (His birthday is on the 7th of July.)

I have begun to accept our strange relationship for what it is and have given up hoping that he may eventually find ‘commitment’ in his heart. So last week I went on a date.

It was an internet date, something I have not done for a very long time. But, with the anniversary (of the bombings) behind me, I decided it was time to start afresh and, at least, give it a go.

We had a few drinks, the conversation flowed and led to a dinner of Argentinean steak. It all seemed to be going swimmingly until he started quizzing me, in uncomfortable depth, about my past relationships. When he was finished I felt it was only polite to reciprocate. Quickly a common theme developed, it seemed that all his ex’s were ‘incredibly beautiful’. I must add at this point that he was hardly a picture postcard but seemed keen to get across his apparent talent of snaring feline goddesses. Eventually I couldn’t help but comment and he smiled smugly. ‘I have to be honest’ he said, ‘but given the choice I always favour beauty over brains’. It seems that, by his strict criteria, I wasn’t attractive enough, or perhaps I am too brainy. I have to say I have had a few Adonis’s myself, in my time, but would never insult a smiling pot bellied man with this information.( His birthday, too, is on the 7th of July.)