Thursday, January 12, 2006

Now here’s a spooky thing

I used to sleep so deeply that an ex-boyfriend once said he worried I was dead. I don’t any more, I am very much alive in my sleep, and usually awake.

It’s getting better but I seem to have a thing about 4.00 to 5.00 in the morning. Last night it was worse. I play a little game with myself now. When I find I am defying sleep for no apparent reason I entertain myself by trying to guess what the time is. Hardly a wild night out I know, but it keeps me amused whilst the rest of London sleeps. When I’m bored of that I sometimes send a text to a friend in a different time zone, it’s comforting to know that there’s life out there.

The first time I opened my eyes last night I thought ‘Here we go again, I’m bored of this game, 4.30 am to be sure, it always is’. But no, I’d been lulled into a false sense of security, I thought I knew the rules, they’d thrown a dummy, it was only 2am. Jeez, a bit of variation at last, now how’s that for late night entertainment, I had been fooled

For once it didn’t take long to fall back into slumber, despite the excitement of seeing a different number glowing out of the darkness. Unfortunately it wasn’t peaceful. A nightmare, I always seem to resort to violence now. A few weeks ago I woke up beating the crap out of my pillow, last night it was my duvet’s turn, kicking the life out of it. I am thankful to be single through these nights of combat, if I wasn’t I probably would be by now, or I’d have been locked up for husband battering.

So here I am, face to face with the old familiar 4.30am. ‘Hello again’ I thought, ‘missed you earlier’. This time I was wide awake, I texted New Zealand. I gave up hope of regaining my unconscious state, but decided to remain in close contact with my earlier assailant. The duvet and I snuggled up and stared at the ceiling listening to the rumbles of the world outside.

The next thing I knew I was having my third innings. Guess the time again. Eyes still firmly shut and 8.22 flashed before them. ‘It can’t be’ I thought ‘that would mean I’ve overslept’. It was impossible, the very nature of oversleeping requires an absence of consciousness. I opened my eyes and there it was……..8.22am. How did I know?!